Tags: accidents, attorney, bike, bone, break, broken, collar, due, fall, injury, installed, kansasbri, law, lawyer, legal, personal, plate, state, titanium

Broken Titanium Plate?

On Lawyer & Legal » Accidents & Personal Injury Law

2,922 words with 7 Comments; publish: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:42:00 GMT; (80094.73, « »)

The state is: ? Kansas

I had a titanium plate installed on my collar bone after a break due to a bike fall. Three months after the plate was installed it broke. While I was sleeping, i rolled over and heard it snap. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • Ah no I meant not enough money was being offered!
      #1; Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:10:00 GMT
    • If the plate was defective, then clearly that's not enough.
      #2; Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:41:00 GMT
    • I say it's not enough because if the plate was defective (meaning the negligence lies solely on the manufacturer), then they should pay the WHOLE cost of the second surgery, plus lost wages for the time required. They're only offering HALF the cost to fix what they screwed up and nothing for lost time from work.

Now if liability falls on both the manufacturer and the surgeon, then in theory they should each pay half.

#3; Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:12:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

If the plate was defective, then clearly that's not enough.
      Why not?

The OP said the maker of the plate offered the settlement; that seems appropriate vs. seeking settlement from the surgeon.

I think the maker of the plate should pay full compensation: the cost of the surgery, lost wages, pain and suffering.

I advise the OP to consult with a medmal attorney at his/her earliest convenience. The whole matter may be resolved in a relatively short period of time (months, not days, not years).

#4; Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:20:00 GMT
    • Quote:
      === Original Words ===

OH! I thought you meant it was not "enough" to validate a claim. I see we are in agreement, though!
      #5; Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:19:00 GMT
    • I'm sure it has, but it does seem kind of strange. Are you sure it was the plate that broke and not your bone? Titanium is a very hard metal, much harder then bone.
      #6; Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:50:00 GMT
    • I had to have is removed and replaced. I have the broken plate they removed in my dresser. I am looking for a metalurgist to test it and see if it really is titanium.

The insurance company for the maker of the plate has offered me $12,000 to settle. That's about half of the cost of the second surgery.

#7; Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:56:00 GMT